HISTORY ON ESA REGIONAL RESEARCH CONFERENCE
The World Customs Organization, East and Southern Africa, Regional Office for Capacity Building (WCO ESA ROCB) launched the ESA Regional Research Programme, in 2013, aiming to build institutional capacity and the body of knowledge in Customs through research. The programme aims to enhance the region’s capacity to showcase its own research globally.
The 2nd WCO ESA Regional Research Conference
The 2nd ESA Regional Research Conference is scheduled to take place in 2017 and will be hosted by the WCO Regional Training Centre (RTC Kenya) on the 23rd and 24th November, 2017. In light of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and its entering into force, and the WCO support for its implementation, the conference will focus on Trade Facilitation, with the conference aiming to progress the trade facilitation (TF) agenda, within the framework of the WCO Mercator Programme.
Call for papers; 2nd ESA Research Conference -Download PDF
The 1st WCO ESA Regional Research Conference
The 1st ESA Regional Research Conference was held by Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) at the Meikles Hotel on the 4th and 5th June, 2014 in Harare, Zimbabwe.
The theme of the conference was “CUSTOMS AND TRADE FACILITATION: Building institutional capacity and the body of knowledge in Customs through Research.” The topics expected to be covered included:
- Perspectives from the private sector on the trade facilitation tools and instruments implemented in East and Southern Africa region.
- The impact of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) on Trade Facilitation.
- Transit Management System: an ideal model for East and Southern Africa.
- Implementation of the Revised Kyoto Convention (RKC).
- The key pillars required by Customs and Revenue Administrations to successfully implement the Trade Agreements in COMESA, EAC, SADC and Tripartite.
- Customs Capacity Building Initiatives in East and Southern Africa: Case Studies of institutional capacity to rationalize and align capacity building initiatives provided at regional and international level.
Call for papers; 1st ESA Research Conference –Download PDF