The 2nd ESA Regional Research Conference which took place on 23rd -24th November 2017 at the Kenya School of Monetary Studies in Nairobi. It was hosted by the WCO/ROCB and RTC KENYA(KESRA). In light of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and its entering into force, and the WCO support for its implementation, the conference focused on Trade Facilitation, with the aim of progressing trade facilitation agenda with the framework conference aiming to progress the trade facilitation (TF) agenda, within the framework of the WCO Mercator Programme.
The theme of the conference was ‘Impacts and Implication of the Trade Facilitation Agreement and the WCO Mercator Programme to the ESA region’ and covered the following:
FOCUS AREAS WERE;
- Impacts of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement in East and Southern Africa
- Data Analysis for Effective Border Management in East and Southern Africa
- Best Practices in Digital Customs in East and Southern Africa
- E-commerce as a driver for Economic Growth in East and Southern Africa
- Securing and facilitating trade in East and Southern Africa
- Regional Integration: Addressing levels of intraregional trade in East and Southern Africa
This conference brought together member administrations, tax and customs agents, universities, researchers, auditors, trade facilitation experts, procurement heads/officers, chief finance officers, senior executives (public and private sectors) and other stakeholders.